Each week, my kids pick a country to explore. This week’s pick: The Galapagos Island. What better place could there be than these incredible islands to dive a little deeper into the discussion adaptations to discuss evolution.
- Octonauts: Marine Iguanas (netflix)
- Star Stuff: carl Sagan and the myseries of the cosmos
- Annabelle & Aiden: The Story of LIfe
- Older Than the Stars by Karen Fox
- Grandmother Fish: A Child’s First Book of Evolution by Karen Lewis ( we weren’t huge fans of this)
- Island: A Story of the Galapagos (great story of evolution)
- Hands on: Speckled moth lab
- Hands on:Bird beak lab
- Reflect: after the labs/books: pick an animal and write about the adaptations that were made over the years to better adapt to the island (finch, tortoise, penguins, etc)
- Rebel Girls: Cholita Climbers pg. 36
- Darwin was an expert sailor. Great opportunity to learn knot tying and talk about how improper knots could lead to disaster
- Read: Where are the Galapagos Islands?
- Read: Who was Charles Darwin?
Just for fun media: